It is common for people feel unhappy with the appearance of their eyes. Many individuals are bothered by their droopy eyelids or hooded brows and wish something could be done about them. An eyelid lift is the perfect solution to eliminate saggy eyelids, giving patients a more vibrant, youthful appearance.
What is an eyelid lift?
Also known as blepharoplasty, an eyelid lift is a cosmetic surgical procedure. The main objective of a blepharoplasty procedure is removing excess skin from the eyelids. As we age, eyelid skin and fat may gather in the upper and lower eyelids. This happens because the muscles supporting our eyelids weaken.
Eventually, the upper lids start drooping and bags are created under the eyes. An eyelid lift can restore a youthful facial appearance and create a more vibrant look. If you have dark circles and under-eye bags, an eyelid lift can make these less noticeable.
Normally, an eyelid procedure is performed to address the following:
- Excess skin of the upper eyelid
- Eyelid skin that blocks peripheral vision
- Baggy or droopy upper eyelids
- Bags under the eyes
Who are the best candidates for an eyelid lift?
People with a positive outlook and realistic expectations are ideal candidates for cosmetic eyelid surgery in New York. Likewise, people with eye conditions can opt for an eyelid lift as reconstructive surgery. Smokers should abstain from getting eyelid surgery. If you smoke and are interested in any kind of aesthetic plastic surgery, you should stop smoking.
How much does a rhinoplasty cost in New York?
What are the benefits of an eyelid lift?
Recover a youthful appearance
Many people choose this type of facial plastic surgery to reverse certain signs of aging. When we age, our collagen levels deplete and the skin’s elastic fibers are lost. A blepharoplasty removes this excess eyelid skin, making a person look younger.
Droopy eyelids can make someone look tired or displeased all the time. It can be frustrating for a person to be constantly misunderstood just because of how they look. If your natural facial expression makes others think you’re tired, angry, or upset, then a blepharoplasty can help you avoid misunderstandings.
Increase your confidence
If the way your eyes look makes you feel self-conscious about your appearance, then undergoing eyelid surgery may be beneficial to your self-esteem. An expert in eyelid surgery can help you increase your confidence and feel happier.
Correct visual problems
It is very common for saggy upper lid skin to make it hard to see. If the skin is getting in the way of a person’s visual field, then performing daily activities may become harder. After blepharoplasty, the patient’s vision will be unobstructed, making day-to-day activities easier to perform.
Improve the appearance of your forehead
The upper eyelids can make it harder for someone to see clearly. Many people in this situation have to lift their eyebrows to see better, causing the creation of deep lines and wrinkles along the forehead. An upper eyelid blepharoplasty removes the skin that is weighing your eyebrows down. This helps you see better and reduces the chance of your forehead wrinkling.
In contrast to anti-aging products and other procedures, an eyelid surgery performed by an accomplished facial plastic surgeon can improve the look of your eyes for a very long time. The length of the results of blepharoplasty depends on the person and the speed at which they age. However, a well-performed blepharoplasty can last more than 10 years if patients take good care of themselves.
The scars are barely noticeable
One of the main benefits of eyelid surgery is the minimal scarring, in particular when comparing it with other facial cosmetic procedures. Due to this, patients are free to let others know about their procedure or keep it private if they want to.
What procedures can be combined with an eyelid lift
Cosmetic eyelid surgery can be combined with additional procedures such as a brow lift, a facelift, or skin resurfacing.
How much does a facelift cost in New York?
What to expect on the day of the eyelid lift?
You can expect your eyelid surgery in NYC to be a minimally painful procedure. Although you may experience bruised or swollen skin, blepharoplasty is a very mild surgery. Small incisions are made below the lash lines and around the natural creases of the eyelid, leaving the rest of the face untouched.
Many patients don’t need to take narcotics aside from acetaminophen or Tylenol after the procedure. While other medicines, such as hydrocodone, may be prescribed by your eyelid surgeon in NYC, you may only need to take it the evening of the day of the surgery.
What is recovery from eyelid lift like?
After eyelid surgery, it is common for your eyelids to feel tight and sore. Likewise, your vision may be blurry for a few days. Your eyes may feel watery, dry, sticky, itchy, or very light-sensitive. You should keep your eyelids clean and avoid touching or rubbing them. You will receive instructions from your doctor on how to properly take care of your eyes.
Additionally, your doctor will provide you with medication to deal with the discomfort, such as eye drops. In case you have any removable stitches, these will be taken out in the days following the surgery. The skin may remain bruised or swollen for some weeks after the surgery but will get better in due time.
Most patients are able to return to their daily routines after 10 to 14 days but some discomfort may remain. It can take between one to three months before the final effects of eyelid surgery are fully noticeable.
To guarantee a smooth recovery, you should:
- Get plenty of rest. Sleeping well aids recovery.
- Keep your head raised. To sleep, you should accommodate 2 or 3 pillows to keep your head straight up.
- Limit reading, computer work, TV, and other activities that may strain your eyes.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses for some weeks or until the doctor says it’s OK.
- Avoid using makeup, face cream, or lotion.
- When showering, keep water, soap, shampoo, hair spray, and shaving lotion away from your eyes.
- Don’t color or perm your hair for at least 10 days after surgery.
- Avoid bending over or participating in strenuous activities such as biking, jogging, weightlifting, or aerobic exercise.
- Other activities that should be avoided include gardening dusting, swimming, or going in a hot tub.
- Wear sunglasses on sunny days for at least 1 year after the surgery.
How long does an eyelift last?
The length of the results of eyelift surgery depends on the chosen procedure. While the effects of upper eyelid blepharoplasty will fade over time, lower eyelid surgery offers permanent results. Lower lid blepharoplasty removes excess subcutaneous eyelid fat whereas upper lid blepharoplasty is performed by lifting sagging tissues. You can expect the results of upper eyelid surgery to last five to seven years. Keeping healthy levels of collagen and elastin will help maintain the youthful appearance of the skin.
To lengthen the effects of an eyelid plastic surgery procedure you consider:
- Hydration: Hydration is an often overlooked aspect of keeping skin healthy. Not only is water necessary to produce collagen and elastin, but it is also responsible for the maintenance of existing skin proteins. If you want to make your eyelift results last as long as possible, then staying hydrated should be one of your top priorities.
- Nourishment: Eating a well-balanced diet can extend the results of an eyelid lift. In particular, a diet rich in protein and vitamin C will help your skin produce the collagen required to keep it young and healthy.
- Sunscreen: Premature skin aging is often the result of UVC damage. You should avoid using tanning beds and partaking in activities that will age your skin. Sunscreen should be worn diligently whenever you plan on spending time outside.
Schedule a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon
Schedule an initial consultation with the best eyelid lift surgeon in NYC. During your consultation, the doctor will sit down with you to discuss your needs and the goals of your eyelid lift in NYC. This initial consultation is important in order for you to understand the benefits and risks involved as well as the cost you can expect to pay for this surgery.